Sunday, September 12, 2010

Hamburger Huswifery

Taking care of a household is a big job.  Something I have gotten used to this summer as my partner has gotten ready for her A exams (Master's degree).  Most of the summer she was reading between 3-5 books a day and taking notes on the fucking things.  So we both basically had full time + jobs.

I was working at the Theatre, building sets for 8 hours a day and she was working the same at home.  Because my hours were a bit more regular a lot of the general maintenance of our lives fell to me.  So I was cooking most nights and trying to keep the apartment in order.  We just moved into a new apartment at the beginning of August, and  we both focused on that.  Though she definitely took the greater part of that responsibility.

But now that its exam time her work hours are more like...12-16 hours a day?  Its all the good goddamn time, lets put it that way.  So keeping house and the cat and her fed is my general responsibility.  And its tasking.  But fun, I get to cook a lot.

I made Jucy Lucy's the other night, phenomenal.  Way too big, should adjust the size considerably.  She got a traditional, chedder filled burger.  I decided to pay homage to the Blue Door Pub.  I didn't exactly have a huge stock to work with so looking at what we had I tried something relatively simple.

Succoso Lucia


1/4 lb. ground beef, make two patties
1 hamburger bun, toasted
Spaghetti sauce, 2 tbsp
Garlic, 1 clove diced
Parmesan Cheese, 2 tbsp
Mozzerella Cheese, 1/4 c.
Pepperoni, 5-6 slices diced

Make two patties from the ground beef.  On one put the garlic, pepperoni, all the parmesan cheese and an equal amount of the mozzerella.  Put the second patty on top of that and pinch all of the edges tightly, try to work the patty to eliminate the seam completely.

Get your grill or cast iron fry pan to a medium to md. high heat.  Put the Lucy down on the heat and then BACK OFF!  Don't touch it, don't check the bottom, and I beg you, by all the seasoning on my mother's wok, don't push on it with your spatula.  Let it cook and caramelize for 8-9 minutes.  Then go ahead and flip it (I used two spatulas, tongs might also work.)  The next step is critical to keep the cheese inside the patty, once you've flipped quickly poke a slit in the side facing up with a sharp knife. 

This will allow the steam let off by roiling cheese escape in a controlled fashion.  Let the other side go for another 8-9 minutes.  Stick that in a 250˚oven to keep it hot if you need to.

Put the Lucy on the bun and garnish with the spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese (burger should be hot enough to melt the cheese to it.)  Add some slices of pepperoni or dashes of oregano, basil, what-have-you if you feel like.

Enjoy with cold beer, probably something with a little hop like Magic Hat #9, or a red or brown ale.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.